Project Civil City
Project Civil City is a broad ranging initiative by Mayor Sam Sullivan and the City of Vancouver that covers homelessness, panhandling, policing and public disorder.
Project Civil City Background
First proposed in 2006 by Mayor Sam Sullivan, Project Civil City is a significant pre-Olympic undertaking that has the potential to impact the city of Vancouver in a number of ways. Built around four key goals, the document also contains dozens of "recommended actions" that focus on everything from graffiti, to the wearing of bicycle helmets, to surveillance cameras and beyond. The document was produced following stakeholder consultations by Mayor Sullivan and Councillor Kim Capri, as well as an on-line survey that was accessible on the Mayor's website (mayorsamsullivan.com).
One May 17,2007, former Attorney-General Geoffe Plante was introduced as Vancouver's Civil City Commissioner.
For key policy documents, media articles and other items, see below.
VPSN Project Civil City Debates, Discussions and Dialogue
On May 1, 2007, the VPSN hosted the first public debate on Project Civil City. The debate was a fantastic success – a big thank you to everyone who came out. A special thank you to Peter McKnight for moderating the event, and to our panel of debaters – Professor Steve Herbert, Irwin Oostindie, Dave Park, Micheal Vonn, and Sheryl Williamson-Harms – for their witty repartee and engaging exchange of ideas. Transcripts and video of the event will be on our www.civilcity.ca website in the next few weeks.
:: Click here for more information on the May 1, 2007 Project Civil City Debate
On Tuesday November 13, 2007 the Vancouver Public Space Network hosted it's second public forum on Project Civil City - focusing specifically on housing and homelessness. The event was co-sponsored by the Vancouver Public Library. The premise: What are the "sticking points" that prevent more action from being taken on the housing front. Everyone seems to agree that more needs to be done to deal with the housing situation in Vancouver. Homelessness is increasing. Our shelters are overloaded and have waiting lines that stretch for full city blocks. The ceiling for "affordable" housing is becoming further out of reach for the city's residents. In short, we seem to be losing ground.
:: Click here for more information on November 13, 2007 - Project Civil City and Housing: the "sticking points" workshop
:: See our Housing Backgrounder
- Project Civil City - City Website - www.vancouver.ca/civilcity
- Project Civil City - Main report produced by the Mayor's Office (November 2006)
- Project Civil City - Letter from Mayor Sam Sullivan (November 11, 2006) - Accompanied the release of the PCC document
- Vancouver pilots new Municipal Ticket Information system - (December 12, 2006) - Press release from the Mayor's Office around new bylaw ticketing system and it's relation to PCC
- Motion (by Councillor Kim Capri) to Address Street Disorder (December 14, 2006)
- 2007 State of The City Address - (January 16, 2007) - Mayor Sullivan's Address - outlines his "Five Goals for a better Vancouver" and references PCC
- Project Civil City - Update report by City staff (March 27, 2007)
- Project Civil City - Progress Report (November 13, 2007)
- Project Civil City - Progress Report (June 24, 2008)
Local Political Response
- Vision Vancouver Denounces Mayor Sullivan's Civil City Plan - (December 7, 2006) - Press Release from Vision Vancouver Party
Related City Reports
- City of Vancouver Staff Report on Street Cleaning Initiatives (including binning) (December 14, 2006)
- Board of Trade Media Release - ""We can’t let thieves steal our city’s reputation" - (November 27, 2006)
- Jamie Lee Hamilton - An Indecent Proposal: Project Civil City - (November 27, 2006)
- Germans In BC - Zombie Beitraege/falscher Ton - Letter re Project Civil City. (German) (December 1, 2006)
- Yaletown BIA. Press Release announcing Yaletown BIA's suppor of Project Civil City. (December 13, 2006) (PDF)
- Pumpkinhead Productions/Games Monitor. 2010 development driving up homelessness in Vancouver - (December 14, 2006) - Correspondence between Pumpkinhead productions and 2010 Watch Posted on Games Monitor - an advocacy group connected with 2012 London Olympics
- PoserorProphet. Project Civil City - (December 15, 2006) - Long journal entry on PCC and panhandling.
- Pumpkinhead Productions. YouTube. Project Civil City: In Time for 2010. (December 19, 2006). The story of a blue tarp... featuring the Anti-Poverty Committee.
- Red Eye Radio/Rabble - Interview with David Eby (Pivot Legal) - Vancouver mayor's plans for a "civil" city (mp3) (January 19, 2007)
- Pedro Mora/Google Video - Interview with Dr. Kerry Jang (Think City) - Project Civil City (video) (January 27, 2007)
- Am Johal / Worldpress. The Obscenity of Vancouver's Olympic Games: Here Comes Frankenstein - (February 9, 2007)
- The Five Ring Circus - A documentary film that looks at "the untold story of the 2010 olympics." Features a segment on Project Civil City. (March 2007)
- A number of community events have been organized around Project Civil City. See here for more details.
- CBC.ca Crime proves expensive for Vancouver convention Centre - (September 19, 2006)
- CBC.ca Vancouver mayor wants 'civil city' by 2010 - (November 27, 2006)
- Doug Ward, Vancouver Sun. Mayor Sullivan pledges to 'clean up city' - (November 28, 2006)
- GCP News. Project Civil City article. (Chinese). (November 28, 2006)
- Allen Garr, Vancouver Courier. Mayor's crusade a matter of PR - December 1, 2006)
- Charlie Smith, Georgia Straight. Sullivan bullish on "disorder" - (December 7, 2006)
- Canada Newswire. Vancouver BIAs support Mayor's Project Civil City - (December 13, 2006)
- Alexander Tsakumis, 24 Hours - Citizen Sam Misses the Point - (December 16, 2006) - 24 Hours, reprinted on Bill Tielman's blog
- Monte Paulson, The Tyee. Mayor Sullivan's Big Ambitions: He wants a 'Civil City' but critics see devil in details - (December 21, 2006)
- Carlito Pablo, Georgia Straight. Vancouver Police Chief Jamie Graham rejects idea for Project Civil City commissioner - (December 21, 2006)
- Irwin Loy, 24 Hours. 'We're on the list?': Civil City consultations confound consultees - (December 22, 2006)
- Carlito Pablo, Georgia Straight. Olympic fund could address "disorder" - (January 18, 2007)
- Frances Bula, Vancouver Sun. Mayor Proposes 'revolutionary' plan for addicts: Sullivan wants city exempted from federal narcotics laws - (January 22, 2007)
- Mike Howell, Vancouver Courier. West End volunteers helping homeless plead case for paid coordinator - (February 16, 2007)
- Ming Pao. Sullivan laments... (Chinese) (February 27, 2007)
- Catholine Butler, The Celtic Connection Online. Irish Determination Drives Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan in his Project Civil City Plan - (March 2007)
- Mark Hasiuk, Vancouver Courier. Left gathers to gripe about mayor's civil city - (March 21, 2007)
- Amanda Stutt, The Ubyssey. Illegal street drug use program under review - (March 27, 2006)
- Gary Mason, Globe and Mail. Bylaws will not cleanse a 'Civil City' - (March 31, 2007)
- Serena Thomson, Seven Oaks Magazine. Olympic backlash in Vancouver: Why history should be deployed before the police - (April 24, 2007)
- Matt Mills, Xtra West. NPA flirts with rolling back last call: Gay village could be punished for hooliganism on Granville St. - (April 25, 2007)
- Matt O'Grady, Vancouver Magazine. Q&A: Kim Capri, City Councillor - (May 2007) - references Civil City.
- The Province. Civil City project, Plant grilled - (November 14, 2007)
- The Tyee. Civil City Progress Questioned – (November 14, 2007)
- The Tyee. Bad Numbers for 'Civil City' –thetyee.ca/News/2008/01/24/CivilCity/ (January 24, 2008)
Organizations - Campaigns on (or relating to) Project Civil City
- Anti-Poverty Committee - http://apc.resist.ca - Works on issues connected with housing and homelessness. A vocal critic of the Olympics and Civil City.
- BC Civil Liberties Association - www.bccla.org - Has worked on a variety of issues connected with policing, CCTV and surveillance.
- Vancouver Board of Trade - www.boardoftrade.com - Represents the business community in Vancouver. Supports Project Civil City and has lobbied various levels of government on issues related to public disorder.
- Chronic Addicted Substitution Treatment (CAST) - www.castvancouver.org - website for the Mayor's addiction substitution treatment initiative. "The CAST research trial in run by the Inner Change Society, a non-profit organization set up specifically for this project."
- West End Citizens Action Network - http://wecan-vancouver.com - West End organization that has advocated for Safe Streets.
- See also - VPSN Housing Backgrounder - for organizations working on aspects of housing and homelessness.
Other Websites, Blogs and On-line Resources
- Beyond Robson - A blog that focuses on urban issues in Vancouver. Some commentary on Project Civil City and related issues.
- Vancouveriste Blog - has a good Vancouver 2010 page that references Project Civil City.
- Vancouver Kid Blog - comments on the PCC project over a number of entries...
- Geography 357 @ UBC - Social & Behavioral Geography - Course Reading List - features Project Civil City and interested related readings.